Sunday, April 25, 2010

Emotional and physical scars

Many folks today are under the impression that once a past emotional injury has healed that it can no longer pain you. And that if you do experience pain over past hurts then you have obviously not allowed that to heal.

I've been thinking about this lately and I have decided that I flat do not believe it.

I severely injured my wrist many years ago, left quite a scar. It has completely and fully healed. I've even regained the feeling in my fingers that doctors said I might not. But sometimes when I lift something or otherwise stress that wrist, it will hurt like hell. I believe that emotional scars are much the same way.

My childhood wasn't -- by far -- the worst, but there are a number of emotional scars back there. I believe that I've made peace with my past, and that those hurts have healed. Still, under the right conditions they do cause me pain.

Folks expect me to behave as though the pain doesn't exist. But I can assure you that if you come up and stick your thumb in the scar on my wrist I'm going to yelp and probably try to slug you. I don't know why I would react any differently to folks shoving their thumbs in my emotional scars.

No comments:

Post a Comment