Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Bicycles

I love bicycles.

I think that bicycles are a nearly perfect synthesis of human and machine. When I think of how to make our lives on this planet more ecologically sound, the bicycle is my mascot.

There exists no more efficient means to move people from one place to another than the bicycle.

I have to admit that I have not been riding my bike very much lately. That is due to the abnormal sub-freezing temperatures that we have been experiencing. Not that you can't ride a bike in cold, icy weather; I was car-free all last winter, I assure you that it is possible. Even pretty nice when you do it right.

But I'm currently living outside of town, and an 8-mile ride through snow on these back country roads is not something I'm willing to risk my life for at this point in time. Not to mention that my current ride needs a bit of work before it'll be running as smoothly as it should.

But as the weather warms up, you can expect to see more bicycle-related posts from me. And not just bicycles either, I'm a major fan of any human-powered tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment